Saturday, May 12, 2007

 

Communicating over great distances

I got a slightly later train home yesterday than the one I usually get. It's quieter. Fewer people. Everyone has a seat, and most people have a double seat to themselves. An air of calm in a quite new train. Lovely.

"HIYA! YES I'M ON THE TRAIN!"

This woman then launched into a very loud and very extensive conversation. There was a risk she might be cut off when we went through a tunnel. No such luck. She finished her conversation. And then started another. A very in depth conversation with her mother about how she'd got that Gucci perfume for Tina, the one she likes, Envy, and so on.

Sat opposite me was an older gentleman. When our fellow passenger started talking we did the eye-rolling thing. Then something odd happened. We actually engaged in conversation. Yes, two strangers on a train, coming out of London, talking to each other in a clear infringement of the Unwritten Rules of commuter travel.

We agreed the woman was awful. We hoped she'd shut up. I suggested that ticket inspectors should be able to issue penalty fares for loud mobile use. We both thought letting people know you're on the train is OK, but conducting an extensive loud conversation isn't. I openly wondered whether she was talking to someone a long way away, and toyed with the idea of asking her if that was the reason she needed to shout. After 10 minutes of shared grumbling ("No need" "Why can't she wait til she gets home?" "I'm trying to solve bridge problems"), my travelling companion snapped. He stood up, leaned over, excused his interruption and then asked her to stop disturbing everybody else.

"YEAH MUM, I'VE GOT TO GO. YES APPARENTLY I'M DISTRACTING PEOPLE. YES. OK, SPEAK TO YOU SOON"

And thus the remaining half of my journey was nice and quiet. Thank you anonymous older gentleman, in London for business. I wish there were more like you, and I hope that some day I too will have the courage to tell people when they really ought to shut up.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
yes this is annoying. I wish i could tell strangers to shut up too
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]