Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

2.4m2 of fun

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend all in all. No St. Johnning for a change, went down to Brighton on Saturday which was verging on the bleak at this time of year, took a few pictures on the beach [have you seen my photographs by the way?], and was most amused to see some young 'lovers' (I say lovers' but as I'd guess they were some age 'tween 14 & 17, maybe 'snoggers' would be more accurate) on the beach. They were doing that thing couples do on summer days in London parks, lying down very close to each other whispering sweet nothings to each other. The effect is lost somewhat though, I feel, when wrapped in a puffa jacket and the couple are taking it in turns to act as 'windbreak' against the gales bowing down a rather pebbly and damp beach.

Talk of wind though brings me back to my main reason for visting Brighton. There's a small kiteshop down there, going by the name of Air Born Kites. Nice people, who actually fly kites and can give you advice. [cf Argos, who are now sellign some really rather large flying machines]
I'd gone down in the hope of returning triumphant with a 1.7m2 Flexifoil Sting. I hadn't reckoned on being lured by the prospect of the 2.4m2 version. "Only £15 more, and you won't regret it"
Well, it isn't much more... and that is quite a bit more kite...
"Can I see how it looks out of the bag?"
The kite is duly laid out on the floor of the shop... Nah, doesn't look too scary - I'll take it.
Back in the safety of my own living room it had magically expanded - maybe it was too big...

Only one way to find out.Picture of a 2.4m Sting in Petrol colour scheme
Headed out to Dunstable Downs on Sunday afternoon, and after taking great care laying out my lines [thankfully it had performed a shrinking trick - Paul Daniels eat your heart out], I was almost disappointed to find I didn't struggle. Within 10 minutes my sister who had been filming events and kites unfolding in the hope of capturing footage of me disappearing into the next county for YouTube posterity was hankering to have a go.
So, maybe not as big on danger as I'd been hoping, but I think things could get more 'interesting' in higher winds.

I think it's fair to say the Sting's fairly foolproof, as long as you have the gumption to figure out a lark's head knot, flying & re-launching is tres easy. Having said that, my shoulders, arms and ribs ached this morning after what was not a particularly long flight (I was rained off), and my shoulders are still feeling the effects now, so there must be a fair amount of 'pull' there. 'Power with control' as they say.
I'm off to Southampton for a few days this week, going gigging and drinking, but may blog if I get bored, or have an amusing experience to relate...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]