Sunday, May 28, 2006

 

A Less Than Good Day

I somehow don't think I'll forget yesterday in a hurry. It was simply a catalogue of Unfortunate Events.

Was heading down to Southampton en famille to see my brother. We were running late and stuck in slow traffic when suddenly there's a scream from my mum in the front of the car, and a quick look to the right reveals a caravan on its side in the middle lane of the other side of the motorway and just in front of that, a car on its roof. As we were doing 5mph stop-start, I [rather stupidly in retrospect] got out, grabbed the First Aid kit from the boot and went to offer my help, crossing both outside lanes of the motorway.
Thankfully there was nothing for me to do (no blood, except from the dog, and everyone was fully conscious), and a passing fire officer took over spine control on the casualty who'd been sitting in the back with no seatbelt. I did get told off by the police for Doing A Stupid Thing, but they kindly helped me cross back to my family on the other side of the M3. People, don't do 65mph with a caravan up a hill, it's not a good idea...

Anyway, finally reached Southampton, picked up my brother and went to the New Forest. Ate our lunch, got out for a walk and were rained on.

Went to Kingston Lacey, argued with a steward about the relative merits of Kingston Lacey and Snowshill Manor, and eventually agreed to disagree. Consumed more cake than was strictly necessary, and then went outside where we got rained on... and then a bird crapped on my camera. So, the day wasn't improving. Wiped most of it off, and I think a little toothbrush action will clear the remainder out of the crevices later.

Left Kingston Lacey, went to Poole and found that the town has lost all its charm, and is now rather depressing Also there was nowhere to find anything to eat. Went to Eastbourne after going round in circles thanks to a misplaced roadsign and had a wander between the revellers and underage drinkers mingling with the heavy Saturday night police presence. Walked down the seafront where we were harassed by charity collectors, and then popped into a Starbucks where there was no food to be found.

Finally found food at a 24-hour Costa, horribly overpriced but satisfying, dropped my brother off and then had an uneventful late-night journey home, getting in around 1am.

All in all, a day memorable for all the wrong reasons.
And in a matter of hours I will be tending once again to the little dears who frequent the under 18's event. Good Times.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
My god David...Maybe my bank holiday of slavery doesn't seem so bad after all!

I can relate to this article in some ways... been to both Kingston Lacey and Snowshill (in fact have a bunch of 'relics' from snowshill above my head as i sleep at home)I like Snowshill, well at least i did when i last went.

Secondly, about the 'no food in Starbucks issue... the poor buggers probably didn't put any more out 'cos, yes, they too want to go home and after you departure have a min of 1 and a half hours of cleaning to look forward too. Forgive the lack of enthusiasm...

As we were saying today, who would want to have a bank holiday with the family and spend it in Starbucks anyway... ;)

Okay, so i'm thinking I should stop the babble now... just one more thing, 'Is the hot chocolate alright with whipped cream?', okay i think i best be off to bed :S

Cait :)
 
I'm not blaming the Starbucks people for a lack of food - it was 9pm on a Saturday, they'd be closed in an hour, and we were only considering them because 'proper' restaurants were all booked up.
"I can relate to this article"
Article? eh? Rather strong word to describe a meandering ramble...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]